In science we are learning about air pressure. Students connected two syringes with a plastic tube. The air inside was trapped. As the students pushed the plunger on the syringe the air was moved. We learned that air pressure is when air is pressed or squeezed. Sometimes the air pressure was so strong the plunger flew out one end making a loud popping noise. Some students “wrestled” with the syringes, trying to push the plunger out while their partner tried to push the other plunger in.
Here are some samples of what students wrote in their science journals:
Nadia:
You have to take the plunger out and let air go in the other syringe and pop the air out. You can wrestle with it.
Raeanna:
When you are air wrestling you have to get a lot of air in the syringe and you need to have someone wrestling you.
Jarod:
It is hard when two people are pushing the plunger. It is hard to push the end. It pops. The pressure builds up fast.
Belen:
When I am air wrestling I have to get a lot of air in the syringe. I have to put a lot of air if I want to pop the tube off the syringe.
Brendan:
You can’t push the other side in when you air wrestle because of air pressure.
Victor:
When I put pressure it pops out. The air is inside the syringe.
Sebastian:
If you push both sides it will be hard because the air is pushing.
Ivan:
I push one end. I found out that if you have enough air you can pop the other end.
Jadian:
When we both pushed the plunger it was hard. When I pushed the plunger it came out and air came out and in.
Lexani:
I pushed the gray thing and the other one popped. We got to wrestle with the things too. It had a lot of air in it. It did not have anywhere else to go so it popped out.
Joseph:
I know that air can fight. First you try to push air into two tubes at the same time. The air will just get stronger and stronger. But if you let go of the end of the tube it will pop.
Sara:
If I push too much air into a syringe it will pop out. If I have two syringes I find a partner and see who is stronger.
Angie:
When you try to push in the plunger pops! The pressure pushes the plunger out.
Rina:
When the air pushes down the syringe it pops.








I love your pictures and your writing about air pressure. Here are some questions for 2nd grade for the students. What is air? What is a force? What is air pressure? What is an example of air pushing something? What is an example of air pulling something?
ReplyDeleteMrs. McLaughlin
Dear Mrs. McLaughlin,
ReplyDeleteAir is gas. A force is something that pushes or pulls. Air pressure is when air builds up. Air pressure is a strong force because if you put too much air in a baggie it will pop. When air pushes leaves, the leaves blow away. Air can push paper if you blow on it. Air sucks dirt from the ground with a vacuum cleaner.
From 2nd grade students